I’m a passionate watercolour painter of landscapes, cityscapes, and interiors.
I love the immediacy of watercolour and its infinite magical subtleties. There is no better medium for capturing the fleeting play of light across a scene.
An energetic, bold directness characterises my approach to painting. I don’t seek to create an exact representation but try to capture and evoke a distinctive sense of mood, drama, and atmosphere.
Most people who buy my work do so because it evokes a memory for them, often something specific like a favourite place or holiday, or sometimes that a painting conjures up a particular ‘sense of something’ treasured. Knowing that my work can transport someone somewhere else is a fantastic compliment.
While people who purchase my work do so because they love it or it has a powerful connection with them – it can still be a big decision, which is why it can also be nice to have some additional affirmation and reassurance.
You can see brief reviews from people who have bought my work at the bottom of each page. In addition, here are a few other snippets that might be of interest. These are particularly important to me as they indicate how other professional artists and curators perceive my work:
- I’m an elected member of the Sussex Watercolour Society.
- In 2023 my work has been selected for:
- The Royal Institute for Painters in Watercolour exhibition at The Mall Galleries.
- The British Art Prize (one of only 50 paintings selected in all media)
- The Artist and Leisure Painter Open Exhibition in ‘The Artist’ Category at Patchings Arts Centre.
- The Fabriano Acquarello Convention in Bologna, where I was one of the artists selected to represent England and Wales at the world’s largest watercolour convention. (Also in 2022.)
- I was named a 2024 top 200 World Winner in the International Watercolour Masters contest and, in 2022, I received a World Top 200 Merit Award from the International Watercolour Masters for my ‘pursuit of excellence’.
My weekly blog, Brushes with Watercolour, shares my adventures with other enthusiasts about this brilliant (and sometimes infuriating) medium. I hope my paintings and blog give visitors a glimpse into why painting in watercolour is one of the most beautiful and satisfying pursuits. Brushes with watercolour is also my diary, where I record all my good and bad paintings and any associated news or activities.
I hope you’ll stay awhile and have a look around. Please let me know if you see anything you like; it’d be great to hear from you. You can leave public comments on any blog posts or contact me privately through my contact page.
In the meantime, here are some pictures of me at work. Or is it play?
Even though the results don’t always work out as expected, being in such beautiful locations is always a joy!