At the end of last week’s post, after having made two attempts at the homework I’d been set on Paul Talbot-Greaves’ course ‘using green in watercolour’, I was deliberating a third effort.
I had in mind some changes that I’d like to try to achieve, which I hoped might improve on the efforts I’d made so far. Here’s that third attempt:
I was glad that I made the third attempt. It still didn’t work out as well as I’d anticipated, and parts of it still really frustrated me, especially the foreground area between the road and the wall. Overall though, I felt the colours, balance, and textures in the greens in this painting were the most successful of the three.
All the paintings I did based on our first demonstration and assignment have now been submitted to Paul. I’m now eagerly awaiting his comments and suggestions for how I could have done this more successfully. I daresay it will echo many a school report along the lines of could do better. Perhaps one of the main differences all these decades on, is that I actually do want to do better, whereas I was never really that bothered about doing better at badminton or rugby!
A little city break
After all this time spent immersed in the greens of the countryside, I found myself hankering for a bit of an urban break. Where better to indulge myself then but a little trip to New York! Here’s a little souvenir of my visit. I should probably add that this was all a complete flight of fancy. Not only did I not go to New York, but I never actually left the flat!
I continued to test positive all week and have been entirely housebound! Only today, Wednesday, did I venture out for the first time in ten days! So, here’s where I went in my head:
I enjoyed painting this, especially the many various abstractions that make watercolour such a pleasure for me. I was pleased with the simplification of the background buildings. From the outset, I’d planned on the left-hand buildings being cool and the right-hand foreground buildings being much warmer in colour.
I was also a little nervous about handling the cars in the foreground as they were so prominent. My usual tendency would be to tighten up in a search for accuracy, but I managed to steer myself in almost the opposite direction and work loosely with lots of water and lots of pigment and not to fuss things too much.
When you see the detail below, you get a clearer idea of just how little control I exerted over the paint:
I so enjoyed this little city break that I took another:
I really like some areas in this painting, especially on the left-hand side with the tree, coach and the energy in some of the brushwork on the foreground shadow. I’m not sure I’ve tackled many people on motorbikes, so I’m not going to complain about this, much as I’d like to! I do, however, wish that I’d given more thought and attention to the placement of the other figures, which I find a little unsatisfactory!
It was nice to visit another city and continue my break from the greens!
I already have a new landscape sketched out to practice some of what I’ve learned so far. I am a little nervous about starting it because, from a perspective point of view, it feels pretty challenging but hopefully, I’ll be ready to share it with you next week.