Continuing with my sketchbook odyssey, here are a couple of recent ones… and I wonder if any of the eagle-eyed amongst you can spot anything different with my palette?
So. Any ideas on my spot the difference challenge? Well, here’s what my Frazer Price used to look like:
Note the three welled plastic palette that I’d cut to size and inserted into the palette. While this was okay, and did allow me to mix up some larger quantities of paint than was possible on the flat surfaces, I never really enjoyed painting from these. Maybe I’ve been spoiled over the past few years by only mixing my paint on enamalled surfaces!
Anyway, it’s long been on my mind to come up with something better and, while I had the idea for this some time ago, its only in the past few weeks of using this palette that I’ve been spurred into action!
From pie dish to watercolour palette
My idea was to create a single large mixing well out of a small enamelled pie dish. I had already bought one of these some time ago so all I needed was some time and a bit of consideration as to how to do it! I had intended to document this process more thoroughly but, as it was, I got a bit carried away and only thought about photographing it when I was pretty much done and dusted with it.
Here are a few images however that I hope will make it clear! I first secured the pie dish to a piece of wood that I could in turn secure onto a workbench. I then took my trusty angle grinder armed with a fine cutting disk and set to work.
I’d already marked out the pie dish by sitting it into the palette, drawing a line around the palette and then using masking tape to mark the line that I needed to cut along. The main challenge was that I was trying to cut a straight line when the pie dish was curved in three directions!
After much cutting, re-cutting, grinding and finally a bit of filing to smooth off the rough edges, I eventually had a dish that fitted into the palette. It wasn’t perfect, but I figured that with the amount of thought and time I’d put into this so far, I had to see it through!
As you can see from these images, there was a little bit of a gap here and there, the some of the enamel has been chipped in the cutting process but I thought that I could patch up all of this with some carefully applied silicone:
I’ve only been able to use this a few times since completing it and so far, it’s great! It feels wonderful to mix paints on this surface and it’s big enough to cope with larger brushes and significanlty more water that anything I’d been able to do previously.
Naturally this little project – and using this palette so much of late – has only deepened my affection for the wonderful Frazer Price Palette and I look forward to using it for many years to come!
In other news…
I’m pleased to report that my back continues to recover and is feeling better by the day! I’m doing stretches daily and, in the past week I’ve been on my bike for the first time in ages, been swimming in the sea and have even started skipping again! My back still protests at quite a few things, especially sitting for prolonged periods of time but it feels like a world of difference from this time last month ago, which is when it really started to deteriorate.
I suppose that with all of this activity, plus my watercolour DIY tinkering and being back at work again, start of the new school term etc – there hasn’t really been that much time left for any painting! Hopefully things will balance out a little more in favour of painting in the weeks ahead!